Updating your Windows is an important step in improving the performance of your system, no matter which version you are using. Windows Update helps to eliminate existing bugs and get rid of minor issues. However, recently, some users received an installation error 0x8007012a while trying to update Windows, preventing them from completing the update process.
This situation is very annoying because they cause system lagging problems as well as miss important updates. There might be different reasons for the Install error 0x8007012a issue like corrupted system files, background running application and many more. However, in this article, we have listed a few solutions that will fix the same problem and enable you to complete the update process again. Let’s have a look.
Fix 1: Run the Update Troubleshooter:
If you are struggling with Windows Update Install error 0x8007012a, then the prime step to resolve it is running the Update troubleshooter. The Windows built-in troubleshooter tool is designed to erase most of the mirror glitches on the system. to do so,
- Firstly, press Windows + I simultaneously to launch the Settings app.
- Then select the Update & Security option and click on Troubleshoot.
- Now click on Advanced troubleshooters.
- In the newly opened window, scroll down, select the Update troubleshooter option, and click on the Run the troubleshooter tab.
- Finally, check the error disappeared or not.
Fix 2: Restart Windows Update Service:
if the Windows troubleshooter does not help you, then you need to restart the Windows Update service from the Services window. to do so,
- Firstly, type Services in the windows search box and open the first search result.
- Then scroll down and locate the Windows Update service from the list.
- Now double-click on the service and set the Startup type to Automatic and Service status as Running.
- Finally, restart your system and see the error resolved for you.
Fix 3: Check Disk:
Another solution to overcome the Windows Update Install error 0x8007012a is checking the disk. to do so,
- Firstly, type Cmd in the Windows search box and open the Command Prompt with Run as Administrator privilege.
- Then inside the Command Prompt window, copy then paste the following command and then press Enter,
chkdsk c: /f
- If you are using an SSD card, type chkdsk c: /f /r /x
- Any error appears on the screen, click on Yes.
- Now your Windows will scan for disk errors and eliminate them quickly.
- Finally, see the said error is erased or not.
Fix 4: Run SFC Scan:
In case any of your system files get corrupted or damaged, then also you will receive the Windows Update Install error 0x8007012a on the screen. The best easy solution here is running an SFC scan to repair damaged system files. To do so,
- Firstly, press Windows + R altogether to launch the RUN dialog box type cmd and open the relevant result.
- Make sure the Command Prompt window is launched with administrative access.
- Inside the Command Prompt window, type the following command, and press the Enter button to continue,
- once the process gets completed, again, type the following commands and press the Enter button to continue,
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- After executing the command, check the error disappeared from your system screen.
Fix 5: Reset Windows Update Component:
As per some suffered users, updating all the Windows Update components helped them to resolve the Windows Update Install error 0x8007012a. So you can also try the same in your system to get rid of the same. To do so,
- Firstly, type cmd in the taskbar search box and open the Command Prompt window.
- Make sure to open the Windows Update Install error 0x8007012a window with the Administrator privilege.
- Then type the following command in the window one after another to reset Windows update components (press Enter after each command)
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\Network\\Downloader\\*.*”
rmdir %systemroot%\\SoftwareDistribution /S /Q
rmdir %systemroot%\\system32\\catroot2 /S /Q
regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll
regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dll
regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll
netsh winsock reset
netsh winsock reset proxy
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
- After executing all the command restart your system and see the result.
Fix 6: Disconnect All External Devices:
At times, the USB external devices connected to your system interfere with your Update process and prevent you from completing the process. In this scenario, you need to unplug all the external devices such as Printer, External HDD, USB drive etc., then try again to update your Windows.
Fix 7: Run Malware Scanning:
If any of the above solutions do not help you, then you can perform a full scanning for malware. You can use a dedicated Antivirus app for this process. Once found any malware, remove it and try again to update your Windows.
These are the best and reliable solutions to overcome the Windows Update Install error 0x8007012a issue. However, if you have any queries or doubts after reading this article, then please leave a comment in the below-given comment box.