Microsoft recently released Update KB5023696 and KB5023697 for Windows 10 21H1, 21H2 and 22H2 versions as part of improving system operation. These updates help fix many bugs and improve security features.
But few users are unable to install the latest updates on their systems even after several attempts. If you fail to install the Update KB5023696 and KB5023697 on Windows 10, follow this article. Here you will find a few solutions that will allow you to install pending updates as soon as possible. Have a look.
Fix 1: Restart the System
Restarting a system can help improve its performance, fix bugs, and clear out any memory or resource issues that may have arisen since the last time it was restarted. So before moving to any solutions you should restart the system and retry to install Update KB5023696 and KB5023697 on your Windows 10
Fix 2: Run Update Troubleshooter
In some cases running the Windows Update Troubleshooter will help you to install Update KB5023696 and KB5023697 on Windows 10 without any issues. To do so.
– Open the Settings window and select Update & Settings option.
– Then choose the Troubleshooter option and click on the Other Troubleshooter from the right side.
– Now find and click on Run the troubleshooter button beside Windows Update and install the discussed updates again.
Fix 3: Use Install Update Assistant
The Windows Update Assistant tool is a powerful and convenient way to keep your Windows computer up to date with the latest security patches, feature updates, and fixes. If there is any issue with the update assistant, you will not be able to install Update KB5023696 and KB5023697 on your Windows 10. Here you can reinstall Windows 10 Update assistant
– Go to the Windows 10 Update Assistant page and click on the Update now button under the Update Assistant section.
– Then install the downloaded file on the system and retry to install the discussed updates.
Fix 4: Install Media Creation Tool
The Windows Installation Assistant is a tool that helps users install Windows Updates and configure hardware, software, and drivers. If the Media creation tool is missing from the system, you will not be able to install Update KB5023696 and KB5023697 on your system. Here you can download and install the media creation tool and retry to install the updates.
– Go to Windows 10 Media Creation tool and click on the Download tool now button under Create Windows 10 Installation Media.
– Then install the downloaded file and retry to install the pending updates.
Fix 5: Reset Windows Update Component
In case you failed to install Update KB5023696 and KB5023697 on your Windows 10, then you need to reset the Reset Windows Update Component. To do so,
– Type “cmd” in the search box and open the Command Prompt screen with admin privilege.
– In the new screen, type the following commands and click on– button,
SC config trustedinstaller start=auto
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop msiserver
net stop cryptsvc
net stop appidsvc
Ren %Systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren %Systemroot%\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll
regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dl
regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll
netsh winsock reset
netsh winsock reset proxy
rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /ScanHealth
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /CheckHealth
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /StartComponentCleanup
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start msiserver
net start cryptsvc
net start appidsvc
– Finally, restart the system, and you can install the latest updates smoothly.
Fix 6: Delete SoftwareDistribution Folder Files
Sometimes the issue might be related to the SoftwareDistribution folder. In this case, you should delete the same folder and install the updates.
– Type services in the search box and open the Services window.
– Then find Windows Update, right-click on it and select Stop from the drop-down menu.
– Now open Windows Explorer, choose C:\Windows-> SoftwareDistribution and delete it from the system.
– Finally, retry to install the pending updates smoothly.
Fix 7: Use Microsoft Update Catalog
If all else fails, you should install Update KB5023696 and KB5023697 on your system from Microsoft Update Catalog. To do so,
– Open Microsoft Update Catalog, and in the search box type, Update “KB5023696” or “KB5023697” and press Enter.
– Then download the appropriate file and install it on the system and you have completed the update installation process.
These are the top solutions to resolve the Update KB5023696 and KB5023697 failed to install on Windows 10. In addition, you can disable the antivirus program and see if it helps you.