Windows 11 users can now upgrade to PowerShell 7.2 to automate tasks and make changes to system settings. This new version, PowerShell 7.2, is designed for advanced users to make script changes on Windows 11. In addition, the latest version includes an automatic update through the Microsoft Update System every time there are any critical fixes or security updates. It also helps to update the app automatically.
PowerShell 7.2 comes with ANSI Escape Sequences support for text decoding between the supported terminal and console. However, the latest version of PowerShell is available for Windows 11, 10, 8.1, Windows Server (2012 R2 and later) and Linux, macOS, Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, Fedora, and Alpine. In this article, we will teach you how to install PowerShell 7.2 on Windows 11. Let’s see how.
Steps to install PowerShell 7.2
- Firstly, go to PowerShell 7.2 page on the GitHub site.
- Then scroll down and select PowerShell-7.2.0-win-x64.msi file under the Assets section.
- Now download the file on your system. Then double-click on the same file, launch the installer.
- And click on the Next button.
- Then select the installation folder (optional) and click on Next.
- Therefrom the newly opened Optional Actions window, tick the checkboxes beside Add’ open here’ context menu to Explorer and ‘Add Run with PowerShell 7’ context menu for Powershell files options.
- And click on the Next button.
- In the newly opened window again, tick the checkbox beside Enable updating PowerShell through Microsoft Update or WSUS and Use Microsoft Update when I check for updates (recommended).
- Now click on Next and press the Install button.
Finally, click on the Finish button, and you are done.
Once PowerShell 7.2 is installed in the system, you can launch it from the Start menu and desktop.
Steps to install the PowerShell 7.2 from Microsoft Store
You are also allowed to install PowerShell 7.2 from Microsoft Store. To do so, you can follow these below-given steps,
- Firstly, you need to launch Microsoft on the web and search for PowerShell.
- Then click on the Get blue button from the right side of the screen.
- Now click on the Open Microsoft Store button and again click on the Get button inside the Microsoft Store.
Once done, you can open the new PowerShell 7.2 by clicking on the Launch tab or opening it from the Start menu.
Steps to install PowerShell using winget Command
Another method to install Powershell 7.2 in your Windows 11 is by executing a command in the Command Prompt. To do so,
- Firstly, type cmd in the Search box and launch Command Prompt with administrative access.
- Inside the Command Prompt window, type or copy then paste the following command and press Enter,
winget install –id Microsoft.PowerShell
Once you have executed the above command, the Windows Package Manager will automatically download and install PowerShell 7.2 on your Windows 11.
Note: These steps are mainly for Windows 11 PC. But these above same steps also work on Windows 10 version.
So these are all about installing PowerShell 7.2 in Windows 11. The above three methods are easy to apply, and all you need is a stable internet connection. If you have any queries or doubts after reading this article, please leave a comment in the below comment box.