The Windows system has an option that allows users to log in to the system automatically without having to enter their username and password. Surprisingly, few users trying to access the same feature are unable to find the “Users must enter a user name and password” option checkbox. As per some users, this option has disappeared after a recent update by Microsoft introduced a new sign-in feature.
The Windows automatic sign-in feature saves users time and allows them to boot into the desktop if they forget their login password. If your system does not have the option “Users must enter a user name and password”, then you should follow this article to find a possible way to restore it. Then let’s have a look.
Method 1: Restore the Missing “Users Must Enter a User Name and Password” option using Windows Hello
We strongly believe that the main reason behind the loss of the option “Users must enter a user name and password” in your Windows 10/11 is the Windows Hello sign-in settings. To escape from this mess, you need to disable the Windows Hello sign-in feature. To do so,
- Firstly, press Windows + I altogether to launch the Settings menu on your desktop screen.
- Then select the Accounts and click on the Sign-in options.
- On the next screen, under the Additional settings section, toggle off beside the For improved security only allow Windows Hello sign-in for Microsoft accounts on this device (Recommended)
- Once done, save all the changes and restart the system; this time, the missing feature will get restored.
Method 2: Restore the Missing “Users Must Enter a User Name and Password” option using Registry Editor
Another solution to restore the missing “Users Must Enter a User Name and Password” option in your Windows 10/11 is editing the Registry. To do so,
- Firstly, press Windows + R simultaneously to open the RUN dialog box on your screen.
- Then type “regedit” in the text box and open the relevant result from the search.
- In the new screen, go to the following path to edit the register device key,
- Now from the right side, double-click on the DevicePasswordLessBuildVersion and set the Value data as 0.
- Once done, save the changes and check for the result. The missing option will get restored to your system.
Steps to Enable Automatic Log in Option
If you have restored the option “Users must enter a user name and password”, then you need to change your Windows login configuration to enable the automatic login feature. To do so,
Note: If you are currently using Windows Hello sign-in options, then you need to disable them. You can go to the Settings-> Accounts-> Sign-in options-> under Ways to sign in section, expand your sign-in method and click on the Remove button.
- Then press Windows + R to open the RUN dialog box, type “netplwiz”, and press OK to open the User Accounts screen.
- Inside the new screen, untick beside the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.
- And select your Username and click on the Apply and OK button.
- In the Sign in Automatically prompt, type your Microsoft username and password and click on OK to continue.
- That’s it. Now you can boot into your desktop without a password.
This is how you can restore the “Users must enter a user name and password” option in your Windows 10/11 and enable the automatic sign-in feature. If you have any queries or concerns regarding this article, you can leave a comment in the comment box below.