Microsoft has recently released new cumulative mandatory Updates KB5017308 and KB5017315 on Windows 10 20H2, 21H1 and 21H2 versions. The same update fixes several security bugs and brings improvements. Anyway, this update is inevitable and will get automatically installed on your Windows. But when some users try to install these updates on their system, they fail to succeed even after several attempts.
If you are one of the users experiencing the same problem, you can follow this article to get all the possible solutions. Here we have listed some tricks that you can apply to your system to install Update KB5017308 and KB5017315 on your Windows 10 without any hassle. Then let’s have a look.
Fix 1: Run Update Troubleshooter
The first try to install Update KB5017308 and KB5017315 on your Windows 10 is running the Windows built-in Update troubleshooter. To do so,
- Open Settings screen->click on Update & Security->choose Troubleshooter->click on Additional troubleshooter link.
- Then choose Windows Update-> click on Run the troubleshooter button and complete the process.
- Once done, you can make another attempt to install the update.
Fix 2: Remove DataStore Files
If you are unable to install the KB5017308 or KB5017315 update on your Windows 10, you should remove the DataStore files from your system. To do so
- Open Services window-> locate and right-click on Windows Update->select Stop option.
- Then press Windows + R to launch RUN dialog box, type %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore and click on the OK button.
- And select all the files from the folder and remove them completely, then you can try again to install the update.
Fix 3: Install Update Assistant
In some cases, installing the Windows 10 Update Assistant will help you to escape from the same issue. To do so,
- Open the Windows 10 Update Assistant page on your system-> click on the Update now button under the Update Assistant section.
- Finally, you can try again to install the update and see the result.
Fix 4: Install Windows 10 Media Creation
Sometimes installing Windows 10 Media Creation Tool will make your attempt to install Update KB5017308 and KB5017315 successful on your system. To do so,
- Open Windows 10 Media Creation tool page-> click on Download tool now under the section Create Windows 10 Installation Media section.
- Once done, then you can install the update and check for the result.
Fix 5: Delete SoftwareDistribution Folder Files
Another solution is to delete the SoftwareDistribution folder files and try again to install the Update KB5017308 or KB5017315 on your Windows 10. To do so,
- Open Services window->locate and right-click on Windows Update->click on Stop option.
- Now you can launch Windows Explorer->select C:\ Windows folder-> go to SoftwareDistribution folder-> select all files and click on the Delete button.
- Once done, try to install the latest update again.
Fix 6: Reset Windows Update Component
At times, resetting the Windows Update Component will allow you to install Update KB5017308 or KB5017315 on your system without any trouble. To do so,
- Type “cmd” on your search box and open the Command Prompt window with admin privilege.
- Then type or paste the below-listed commands and press Enter,
SC config trustedinstaller start=auto
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop msiserver
net stop cryptsvc
net stop appidsvc
Ren %Systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren %Systemroot%\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll
regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dl
regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll
netsh winsock reset
netsh winsock reset proxy
rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /ScanHealth
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /CheckHealth
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /StartComponentCleanup
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start msiserver
net start cryptsvc
net start appidsvc
- Finally, you can try to install the update again on your system.
Fix 7: Remove External Components
You need to remove all external components connected to your system before attempting to install the latest updates. Once removed, you can try installing the update again and check the result.
Fix 8: Free up Disk Space
If your system does not have enough disk space to download the latest updates, you need to check and delete some unnecessary files from your system to create more storage space. Once done, you can try to install the update.
Fix 9: Use Microsoft Update Catalog
In case, the above solutions do not help you, then you can try installing the KB5017308/ KB5017315 update from the Microsoft Update Catalog page. To do so,
- Open Microsoft Update Catalog page-> type Update “KB5017308/ KB5017315” and press OK.
- Then download the suitable file from the list and install it on your system.
These are all about installing Update KB5017308 and KB5017315 on Windows 10 smoothly. If you have any concerns related to the information given above, then you can list your doubts in the command box below.