When users try to change the default save location for new apps on their Windows, sometimes they get stuck with an error message saying “we couldn’t set your default save location’’. This error can be caused due to multiple reasons such as- permissions, system glitches, or incorrect settings.
To fix the “we couldn’t set your default save location’’ error you can rely on this article, here we listed a few solutions that help you to eliminate your issue quickly. So, be patient and keep reading the article till the end. Have a look.
Fixes for the Windows error “We Couldn’t Set Your Default Save Location’’
Fix 1: Set Your User Account to Administrator
If you operate any standard user account on Windows, change your user account to an administrator account. With the help of an admin user account, you can perform everyday tasks without any problem. The same user account will stop you from doing any more tricky system changes. If you want to change your standard account to an administrative account, you should ensure in the following process
- Firstly, to open the Settings menu, press the Windows key + I together on your keyboard.
- Then, go to the Accounts option and click on the Family & other users to continue the process.
- Thereafter, under the Other users, you can choose the account for which you want to modify privileges.
- And choose the change account type option.
- Then, a popup will come into view showing the current permissions of the selected user account.
- Now, you can click on the popup and then select Administrator.
- Finally, recall to click OK, to apply the changes.
Fix 2: Rename the Windows Apps Directory
Sometimes, this type of typical error can occur because the Windows apps folder where apps save is damaged. Renaming the files and folder can give you that chance to look at the file again. To resolve “we couldn’t set your default save location’’ problem, you can rename that folder as follows:
- Firstly, if you want to set apps to save on an external hard drive, you can connect that hard drive to your PC.
- Then, to open the File Explorer, you can click on This PC.
- Now, where you want apps to be saved by default, double click on that drive/partition.
- Thereafter, right-click on the Windows apps folder and then select the Rename menu option, which should be found in the drive’s root directory.
- Once done, you can rename the folder to WindowsApps.old then press the Enter key.
- Finally, you can go to the Settings to change the default save location for apps.
Fix 3: Delete or Rename the Wpsystem Folder
The Wpsystem folder stores relevant files and folders for applications downloaded from the Microsoft Store.If you try to delete or rename the Wpsystem folder, you can follow these steps:
- Firstly, to locate the WpSystem folder, you can find on the drive where you can’t set apps to save. It is the same steps as the WindowsApps folder.
- Then, right-click on the Wpsystem folder and go to select the Rename option.
- Now, you can change the folder name to Wpsystem.old and then press the Enter key.
- At the same time, you can either remove the Wpsystem.old folder to address the error.
- You can locate the Wpsystem folder on the same drive where you are facing the issues. It’s usually found alongside the Windowsapps folder.
- Right-click on the Wpsystem folder and you can choose Delete from the context menu.
- Lastly, you can check to confirm the deletion to remove the folder.
Fix 4: Set Full System Permission
Setting full permission for the system volume can allow users to read, write, change and delete files and subfolders. It can provide a solution to the error message ‘we couldn’t set your default save location error in Windows.’ Follow these steps to set full permission for the system volume:
- Firstly, open the File Explorer and click on the three-dot See more menus or go to the View tab and select options as per your Windows versions.
- Then, select View on the Folder Options screen.
- Thereafter, untick the Hide protected operating system files option and then, you can click on the radio button beside the show hidden files, drives, and files.
- Now, you need to click the Apply button to save the changes to Explorer settings.
- Then, choose the drive you try to set as the default app save location.
- You can right-click on the System Volume Information folder and then select Properties.
- Further, go to Security and choose Advanced to open the Advanced security settings window. If a confirmation screen prompts, click on Continue.
- Now, click on Add to access the Permission Entry screen, then Go to opt for the Select a principal option.
- And inside the object name box type, “System” and click the OK button.
- Next, you can choose the Full control permission and click OK on both the Permission Entry and Advanced security settings window altogether.
However, the error message ‘’ we couldn’t set your default save location error on Windows’ is a general problem faced by several users nowadays. We hope by following the above given steps, you will be able to get back your PC as before and can solve this error on Windows.