Steam has emerged as one of the most popular video game digital distribution services with millions of active users. However, some of those users recently complained that they could not install new games or update games on their Steam due to a ‘Disk White error’. The same issue annoys users and deprives them of an exciting gaming experience.
There can be many causes for the same problem, as well as some effective solutions available there. If you are also getting the Disk Write Error in your Steam, then follow this article. Here we have listed a few troubleshooting methods to resolve the same issue as quick as possible. Then let’s have a look.
Fix 1: Restart Steam
The first solution to resolve the Disk Write Error in Steam is restarting your Steam client. You need to close the app from the system and leave it for a few seconds. Then relaunch the game and see the issue resolved in your case.
Fix 2: Remove Drive White Protection
If White protection is enabled on your drive, it may prevent your system from adding or changing new files to folders on that drive. Here you need to remove the Drive White Protection and see whether it helps. To do so,
- Firstly, go to the Steam installation folder, right-click on it and select the Properties option.
- Inside the System Properties screen, select the General tab and tick the checkbox beside the Read-only (Only applies to files in folder).
- Once done, click on OK and reopen the Steam to check improvement.
Fix 3: Run as Admin
Sometimes running the Steam with administrative privilege will help you to resolve the Disk Write Error quickly. To do so,
- Firstly, right-click on the Steam client from the desktop and choose its Properties.
- Then click on the Compatibility tab from the top and tick beside the Run this program as an administrator option.
- Once done, click on OK and try again to update your game.
Fix 4: Remove Corrupted Files
At times corrupted files might be causing the Disk Write Error in your Steam; as a result, you will not be able to update or run the game. In this case, you need to remove those corrupted files. To do so,
- Firstly, go to the Steam installation folder and open it.
- Then choose the Steamapps folder and check for the 0KB sized file; if found, delete it from the system and see if the issue is resolved or not.
Fix 5: Verify Game Files
If any game files get corrupted, then also you will receive a similar issue. Here you need to check and repair corrupted game files. To do so,
- Firstly, open the Steam client, move to Library, choose and right-click on the problematic game icon and select its Properties.
- Then choose the Local Files and click on the Verify integrity of game files option.
- Once done, relaunch Steam and try to update your game.
Fix 6: Clear Cache Files
Another solution to resolve the Steam Disk Write Error is clearing the Cache files in the Steam client. To do so,
- Firstly, open Steam and click on the Settings option.
- Then select the Downloads option and click on the CLEAR DOWNLOAD CACHE option.
- Once done, relaunch the Steam and see the issue resolved.
Fix 7: Change Installation Location
If the Steam app is stored on C: Drive, you will need to remove it and reinstall it on D: Drive. When done, see if you can install new games on your Steam.
Fix 8: Disable Antivirus
In most cases, disabling the problematic antivirus program from the system will help you to solve the same problem. Once the issue is solved, you can uninstall the existing antivirus and install a new trusted antivirus program on your system.
These are all about the Steam Disk Write Error and its fixes. If you have any queries or concerns regarding this article, you can leave a comment in the comment box below.