Are you eagerly preparing for your journey into the boundless cosmos of Starfield? Have you been constantly greeted by the frustrating Error Code 0xc0000142? Worry not since you are not alone. For the whole lot of gaming enthusiasts who want a Solution for Starfield Error Code 0xc0000142, we have curated this guide.
Starfield is a vast and one of the most loved universes of gaming. However, if you have ever been playing it, you may now know errors are a common pitfall. And the worst part is Starfield Error Code 0xc0000142 means you cannot even start up the game. Join us in this article as we list down the Reasons and Fixes for Starfield Error Code 0xc0000142. The error code can be particularly baffling, but we have compiled a list of solutions to make going through it as easy as possible.
Whether you’re a seasoned gamer or a novice explorer, our aim is to make this guide as accessible as the stars themselves. So, buckle up, and let’s begin.
Starfield Error Code 0xc0000142 Meaning and Reasons
Error Code 0xc0000142 in Starfield refers to a technical issue with the application’s execution or initialization process. In simpler words, Starfield Error Code 0xc0000142 prevents the game from starting correctly. The error may appear due to numerous reasons, including:
- Corrupted Game Files, especially if some of Starfield’s essential files are damaged or missing.
- Compatibility Issues, if your system’s hardware/software isn’t aligning with the games’ requirements.
- Outdated Drivers, especially outdated Graphic Card or other System Drivers.
- Conflict with Software or Application running in the background.
- System Issues such as registry errors or malware infections.
Fixing Starfield Error Code 0xc0000142
FIX 1: Run Starfield as Administrator
When struggling with Starfield Error Code 0xc0000142, the easiest solution is to Run Starfield as Administrator. This simple yet effective method allows the game to run with administrator privilege, thus resolving the issue. Here’s how you can Run Starfield as Administrator:
- Locate the shortcut to Starfield on your desktop. Or, visit the Installation Directory and locate Starfield’s Executable file.
- Right-click on either of them and from the context menu, click on Run as Administrator.
- When prompted, with User Account Control (UAC) prompts, confirm it to grant necessary permissions. Once you run Starfield with Admin rights, it accesses the required system resources without hindrance, thus not making the Error Code 0xc0000142 appear.
FIX 2: Verify Integrity of Game Files
As said above, when game files are corrupted or missing are missing, the Error Code 0xc0000142 in Starfield may appear. However, simply by using the built-in integrity verification feature, you can resolve the issue.
For Steam Users:
- Start by launching Steam and head to its Game Library section.
- Now, inside the Game Library, locate Starfield, right-click on it, and select Properties.
- Inside the properties window, click on the option Local Files and then click on Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- Further, allow Steam to check and repair any corrupted game files automatically.
For Bethesda Launcher Users:
- Firstly, launch the Bethesda Launcher, and inside it, click on the Starfield game icon.
- Now navigate to the top-right corner of Bethesda, click on Settings (gear icon) and then navigate to Scan and Repair.
- Allow the Bethesda launcher to initiate the verification and repair process if any corrupted game files are present.
- Once the verification and repair process is complete, try launching Starfield again, and you may no longer see the error message.
FIX 3: Update Graphics Drivers
Error Code 0xc0000142 in Starfield can sometimes occur due to outdated or incompatible graphics drivers. However, in such a case, all you need to do is Update the Graphic Drivers. Here’s the step-by-step process for the same:
For NVIDIA Graphics Cards
- Navigate to the NVIDIA Driver Download Website.
- Now, under the NVIDIA Driver Downloads section, enter all the required details and click on search. Or you can use the automatic detection feature (if available).
- Proceed with downloading and installing the latest driver as per your GPU model.
For AMD Graphics Cards
- Navigate to the AMD Driver Download Website via.
- Now, inside the website, input the details of your AMD graphics card.
- Further, download and install the most recent driver that matches your GPU, and once done, restart your computer to make the changes effective.
- Lastly, launch Starfield again and the Error Code 0xc0000142 may no longer appear.
FIX 4: Disable Conflicting Software
Sometimes, when Starfield has a conflict with other software running on your computer, you may end up with Error Code 0xc0000142. Therefore, to ensure a smoother installation of Starfield, consider disabling conflicting software. Here’s the step-by-step process for the same:
- Start by identifying any third-party software that might interfere with Starfield’s operation. Check antivirus programs, system optimizers, or background applications that can be the potential culprits.
- Once you find the software/ program, disable it temporarily or permanently depending upon its importance.
- In some cases, you might need to uninstall conflicting software entirely.
- Once done with the disabling or uninstallation process, restart your computer to make the changes effective.
- Once your computer has restarted, try launching Starfield again, and the Error Code 0xc0000142 must no longer exist.
FIX 5: Reinstall Starfield
As per some users, reinstalling Starfield helped them resolve the Error Code 0xc0000142 in Starfield. You can also do the same by following the steps given below:
For Steam Users
- Launch Steam and navigate to its Game Library.
- Now, inside the Game Library, right-click on Starfield and select the option Uninstall.
- Once the uninstallation is complete, download and install Starfield again in our library.
- To do so, you can simply locate Starfield in your library, right-click on it, and select Install.
For Bethesda Launcher Users:
- Launch Bethesda Launcher and select the Starfield inside it.
- Now navigate to the top-right corner of the launcher and select Settings.
- In the Settings menu, look for the option to uninstall the game and select it.
- Once the uninstallation process completes, reinstall the game from the Bethesda Launcher.
For Xbox App users:
- Open the Xbox app and navigate to the Starfield game page.
- Click on the three horizontal dots and choose Uninstall the game.
According to Starfield users, a fresh installation helped them resolve all the underlying issues triggering the Error Code 0xc0000142.
FIX 6: Set High Priority Automatic Updates
Error Code 0xc0000142 in Starfield can sometimes be addressed by updating the game files and performing a clean reinstall. Here’s how you can do the same:
- Open Steam on your computer and navigate to your game Library. Here, locate Starfield, right-click on it, and select Properties.
- Now, navigate to Properties and click on Updates.
- Further, locate and set the Automatic Updates preference and choose High Priority. Doing so ensures that the game files are kept up to date.
- Once the changes are made, exit Steam and then relaunch it.
Additional Troubleshooting Tips
If the above-listed fixes don’t work for you, here are some other tips you may try to follow:
- Performing a clean boot of your system can help identify and disable any third-party services or startup programs that might be conflicting with Starfield. To do so, launch the Run Dialog box (Press Windows + R), type “msconfig“, and press Enter. Now inside the System Configuration window navigate to Services -> and tick Hide all Microsoft services -> Disable all. Lastly, navigate to Startup -> Open Task Manager and disable all startup programs. Complete the process by restarting your system.
- Ensuring your Windows operating system is up to date can help resolve compatibility issues. Check for and install any available Windows updates.
- Make sure your device computer meets or exceeds the minimum system requirements for Starfield. If not, you may encounter the said error repeatedly.
- Try Running Starfield in Windows Compatibility Mode. To do so, right-click on the Starfield executable file and select Properties. Now in the Compatibility tab run Starfield in compatibility mode for a previous version of Windows.
- If you’ve overclocked your CPU or GPU, consider disabling these overclocks. Overclocking can sometimes lead to instability in games.
- If you’re using Steam, clearing the download cache can help resolve issues. To do this, go to Steam > Settings > Downloads > Clear Download Cache.
- Ensure that all your drivers, including graphics card drivers, are updated to their latest versions.
Overall, the Error Code 0xc0000142 in Starfield may keep you from accessing the game, but it isn’t something to panic about. With one of the above fixes mentioned above you will be able to get through it within no time.