Are you tired of encountering the frustrating “Something Went Wrong” error on the Google Play Store? You’re not alone.
Google Play Store often displays an error stating “Something Went Wrong”, and it is nothing but a small, occasional flaw. Even though Google Play Store is the biggest application downloading platform, it can come up with some other glitches. Errors like “Something Went Wrong” can put your app downloading or updating experience on a temporary hold, making the situation frustrating. But fret not!
As common as the “Something Went Wrong” error in Google Play Store is, it is equally easy to resolve. Join us in this article as we walk you through simple and effective solutions to get past this obstacle. No complex technical process, just straightforward steps that anyone can follow. From basic troubleshooting to potential account-related fixes, we’ll cover it all. Here we go:
What is “Something Went Wrong” Error on Google Play Store?
Users encounter the “Something Went Wrong” error on the Google Play Store commonly while trying to download, update, or install apps on their Android devices. This generic error message indicates a problem with the app installation process; however, it doesn’t provide specific details about the underlying issue.
The “Something Went Wrong” error can occur due to various reasons. Some of the most common among them include network connectivity problems, issues with Google Play Services, cache or data corruption, insufficient storage space, or even problems with your Google account. Here’s a quick guide that will allow you to resolve the error within no time.
Fixes: “Something Went Wrong” Error on Google Play Store
FIX 1: Check your Internet Connection
Ensuring a stable internet connection is often the simplest and, thus, the first step to address the “Something Went Wrong” error on the Google Play Store. In fact, even before moving to any other fix, it is important to note that the Internet Connection is not creating any glitches in the first place.
Check your internet connection for stability, along with conducting an internet speed test. A slow connection can lead to problems with accessing and using the Play Store. Just Disable and Enable your Wi-Fi/ Mobile Network and use an Internet Speed Checking tool to ensure everything is in place.
FIX 2: Make sure Google Play Stores’ Servers’ aren’t down
If your internet connection is fine, but you’re still encountering the “Something Went Wrong, Please Try Again” error on the Google Play Store, check whether Google’s servers might be experiencing an outage.
Google, at times, may down its server for maintenance. However, when this happens, not only the Google Play Store but also other Google services, including Gmail, Maps, and YouTube as well may not work properly. If that’s why you are ending up with the said error, relax for a bit until the issue get resolved from the backend.
To check for the same, open your browser, type Google Play Store status, and look for the official status page provided by Google for the Play Store. The Status page will transparently display if there are any ongoing issues or outages.
FIX 3: Force Quit and Relaunch the Google Play Store App
If your internet connection and Google Play’s server are working fine, then try to force quit and restart the app. Here is the step-by-step detail:
To Force Quit the App-
- Users who use fullscreen mode on their mobile must swipe up from the bottom and hold in the middle of the screen.
- Now Swipe up (or swipe right/left in some custom interfaces) on the Play Store app card, and it will force quit the app.
- Lastly, navigate to the App drawer and relaunch the Google Play Store. The “Something went wrong” issue may have been resolved by now.
- Long press on the Google Play Store app icon.
- Select “App Info”, and then on the following screen, tap on the option “Force Stop”. It will halt the Google Play Store app.
- Lastly, relaunch the app to see if the issue persists.
FIX 4: Turn On & Off the Airplane Mode
This may sound very basic, but the “Something went wrong” error on Google Play Store may resolve by turning On & Off the Airplane Mode. Doing so resets the network connection and resolves multiple connectivity issues. Here’s how you can proceed with the same:
- Swipe down from the home screen to open the Quick Settings menu.
- Now locate the Airplane mode icon, and tap on it (it may turn Blue indicating the Airplane mode is On).
- Now again, tap on the Airplane mode icon (it will turn Grey, indicating the mode is Off).
- Visit Settings ->Network & Internet -> tap on Airplane mode to Enable and then again tap on it to Disable.
- Lastly, check if the Google Play Store is working swiftly again or not.
FIX 5: Ensure the Date and Time in your Smartphone are set correctly
One of the potential causes of the “Something went wrong, please try again” error on the Google Play Store is incorrect date and time settings. It can indeed lead to such issues; however, it is just a Setting fault and not a real issue to worry about. Here’s how you can go through it:
- First on your Android device, navigate to Settings and then scroll down to select the option System.
- Now within the System settings, select “Date & time” and make sure the toggle button for “Set time zone automatically” and “Set time automatically” is turned On.
- Once done, launch the Google Play Store and check if the error persists.
FIX 6: Clear Cache in the Google Play Store
If the “Something Went Wrong” Error on Google Play Store persists, try cleaning the Cache section within the Google Play platform. Accumulated Cache may sometimes lead to such common issues. Here’s how you can get over the same:
- Open “Settings” on your device and then navigate to “Apps” -> “See all Apps.”
- Now locate and tap on “Google Play Store”, and it will allow you to access its app info page.
- Next, tap on “Storage & cache”, and then under the Storage settings, tap on “Clear cache”. The cache of the Google Play Store will clear up now.
- Before launching the Google Play Store again, tap on “Force stop”.
FIX 7: Uninstall the Google Play Store Updates
The Google Play Store automatically updates itself in the background. Interestingly, uninstalling recent updates to the Play Store can sometimes resolve the ‘Something Went Wrong, Please Try Again’ issue. If clearing the cache hasn’t led you to success, consider this alternative option. Here’s all that you need to do:
- Open the “Settings” app on your device.
- Navigate to “Apps” and select “See all Apps”.
- Find and tap on “Google Play Store” to access its app info page.
- Look for the vertical three dots menu at the top-right corner of the page.
- Tap on the menu to open it.
- From the menu, choose “Uninstall updates”.
- This action will revert the Play Store to its factory version.
FIX 8: Remove Your Google Account and Sign in Again
While the above seven fixes should help you but by chance, if they don’t, then the last resort is to remove your Google Account and Sign In again. Doing so will surely provide you relief from the error.
Follow the step-by-step guide below:
- Open the Settings app on your device and then tap on “Passwords & accounts”.
- On the next screen, tap on your Google account email address.
- Now under your Google account settings page, tap on “Remove account” to sign out of your account and then tap “Remove account” again in the confirmation prompt.
- After signing out, you can log back into your account. To do so, simply select the “Add account” option and then log in with your Google account credentials.
These were the top 8 fixes for the “Something Went Wrong” Error on Google Play Store. Every fix is simple to straightforward, and we hope following them will give you desired results.