Printers are essential machines for the professional field, it really helps to convert digital things into physical papers within a minute. But recently few users have been complaining about a printing error message, “Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000040)’’ on their Windows System. As a result of Error Code 0x00000040, the printer stops working and it badly affects their daily task.
To fix the Error Code 0x00000040 readily, there are several steps that can be used to get Windows back to normal up-to-date situations. Anyway in this article, we have shared some reliable solutions to fix the issue from your Windows. So, be patient and read this full article till the end to gather knowledge about the solutions in detail.
Fixes for the Windows Error Code 0x00000040
Fix 1: Check if the Relevant Services are Running
A Windows service is an application that provides an important operating system function, usually running in the background. If there is something wrong with these services, it may adversely affect your system adversely. If you want to check the relevant services are running on Windows, you should ensure in the following process
- Firstly, in the Window search type ‘services’ and press Enter.
- The next step is, scroll down to find Computer Browser and Workstation services from the new screen.
- Thereafter, check thoroughly if these services are running, then right click and select Restart.
- If these services are not running properly, then to open Properties screen double click on it.
- Now under Startup type select Automatic option.
- Once done,click Start, Apply, and OK.
Fix 2: Restart the Print Spooler Service
A print Spooler is a Windows system service, it acts as an intermediary between the users, applications, and the printer. The Print Spooler service is needed when a computer is physically connected to a printer that provides printing services. In order to resolve the Error Code 0x00000040 users can restart the print spooler service by following methods listed below,
- Firstly, open the Windows Services screen (same as explained in the previous solution.)
- Then, you can scroll down to find the Print Spooler service.
- The next step, right- click on it and then select Restart.
- If the service is not running properly, double-click on the service and from the drop-down menu you can select Automatic.
Fix 3: Repair Damaged System files
If any of your system files get damaged then also you will encounter a similar error. This can occur to any type of file, from program to documents, to system files. To fix the error 0x00000040, you can repair damaged system files. Here, we share some steps to resolve the error…
- Inside the Windows search field type ‘cmd’.
- Then open the Command Prompt screen, right-click on it and select Run as administrator.
- Once done, you can see User Account Control shows up, then, click Yes.
- Thereafter, you can use the following command, and press the Enter key.
- Once done, You can again type the following command and click on enter key after each command to start the process,
DISM/Online/cleanup-Image/checkHealth DISM/online/cleanup-Image/ScanHealth DISM/online/cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Lastly, you can Restart your system. This time you might be free from the discussed error code issue.
Fix 4: Run the Printer Troubleshooter
Running the Printer troubleshooter is the most effective solution to resolve the error code 0x00000040, The steps are discussed below.
- Firstly, in the Windows search box, type ‘Troubleshoot’, and press Enter.
- The next step is, select the option Additional troubleshooters. Then, click it and select the Printer option and click on Run the troubleshooter.
- After finishing the update process, you can Restart your system and see the discussed error still bothers your system.
Fix 5: Reset Internet Connection
Sometimes poor internet connection can cause the error code 0x00000040 on Windows, you can try to reset your internet connection to solve this issue. Here, the steps are as follows
- Open Command Prompt screen by typing ‘cmd’ in the search box, then open it as administrator.
- Once done, copy + paste in the following commands, and press Enter after each commands:
Ipconfig/flushdns Ipconfig/registerdns Ipconfig/release Ipconfig /renew Netsh winsock reset
- Finally, Restart your system and complete your daily task without any troubles.
Fix 6: Uninstall Recent Windows Update
After installing the most recent Windows update if the error code 0x00000040 showed till then, you can uninstall it and then check that the error situation is resolve.
- Firstly, in Windows search type ‘Control panel’ and press the Enter key.
- Now select Programs and then click on Uninstall a program.
- Then click on View installed updates on the left side of the screen and sort all the updates by date.
- Further, right-click on the most latest updates, and select Uninstall.
- Now, go to the on-screen instructions and complete the process.
- Then, again in the Windows search box type, Updates and press the Enter.
- Now click on Pause the updates for 7 days (you can choose the different time period for the Windows 11.)
- Lastly, you can install updates only after Microsoft fixes the problem.
However, Error Code 0x00000040 on Windows is a general problem faced by several users nowadays. We have shared some reliable steps to fix this error properly. By following the above given steps, you will be able to get back your printer service as before, and can solve the issue error 0x00000040 on Windows.