Windows is an impressive operating system that provides users several essential features and varieties of functionalities. The most interesting feature is Windows Subsystem feature for Linux, that enables you to run a Linux file system, Linux command-line tools, and GUI apps. Linux users can rely on this feature to use Linux tools without moving to the Linux operating system. But recently, few users while trying to update WSL, they encountered Error Code Ox80070661.
To fix the Error Code Ox80070661 smoothly, there are several steps that can be used to get Windows back to normal updated position. Today in this article, we have shared some solutions to fix the issue from your Windows. So, be patient and read this full article till the end to gather knowledge about the solutions in detail.
Fixes For the Windows Update Errors Code Ox80070661 Quickly
Fix 1: Run the Troubleshooter
Troubleshooting is the most prominent and easy step to resolve the Windows Update Errors Code Ox80070661.
- Firstly, in the Windows search type, “Troubleshoot”, and press Enter.
- The next step is, select the portion Additional troubleshooters.
- Thereafter, you have to locate Windows Update from the list.
- Then, click it and select the Run the troubleshooter.
- After finishing the Update process, you can restart your Windows.
Fix 2: Fix Corrupted files
Corrupted files on Windows can cause different sorts of problems and make trouble in the system performance. With the fixing of corrupted files, you can solve Error code Ox80070661. The steps are.
- First of all, type ‘cmd’ in the Windows search bar.
- Then, to get access to the powerful tool you can Right-click on the Command Prompt screen and select Run as an administrator.
- Whenever User Account Control pops up, Click on yes.
- And paste the following command prompt into the new Window:
- Press the Enter key and wait until the scan is finished.
- Once the process is done, type the below given set of commands,then press Enter key each of the commands:
- Lastly, you can Restart your system. This time you might be free from the discussed error code issue.
Fix 3: Disable third-party anti-virus
The third-party antivirus software can cause errors in the Windows update process, and the ultimate result is an error like Ox80070661.
To fix this issue,you can disable the Windows anti-virus software to allow the update service to complete the download and install updates. You have to open your security app and search for an option to disable it temporarily. Once the Updates have done, the software can be enabled to ensure the continued protection of the system.
Fix 4: Reset Windows Update components
If there is any issue with the Windows Update Components then also you will not be able to update Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL). In this case, you should reset Windows Update Components and retry to update WSL. To do so,
- First, type ‘cmd’ in the search box and open Command Prompt screen as administrator.
- Then, in the new screen, you have to copy + paste in each of these commands, and press Enter Key each time:
Net stop bits Net stop wuauserv Net stop appidsvc Net stop cryptsvc Del ‘%ALLUSERSPROFILE%/ApplicationData/Microsoft/Network/Downloader /*.*’’ Rmdir%systemroot%/system/system32/cartroot2/S/Q Regsvr32.exe/s atl.dll Regsvr32.exe/s urlmon.dll Regsvr32.exe /s msthml.dll Netsh winsock reset Netsh winsock reset proxy Net start bits Net start wuauserv Net start appidsvc Net start cryptsvc
- Last, restart your system and check if the error prompt appears again or not.
Fix5: Download WSL Manually
The last, but not the least solution is downloading the WSL manually. To do so,
- Firstly, open your web browser and go to the Microsoft update Catalog website.
- And find the up-to-date version of the WSL update available on the website or download the accurate version mentioned in the error message.
- Then, select the appropriate version for your systems architecture, either ARM 64 or x64, download the Cabinet file.
- Finally, extract the Cabinet file, and run the installer add in the package.
However, Error code Ox80070661 on Windows is a common problem faced by several individuals. We have shared some amazing steps to fix this error. By following the above given steps, you will be able to update the WSL software and can resolve the error issues related to the Ox80070661 error code on your Windows.