Recently, Microsoft released July 2023 cumulative Updates KB5028166 and KB5028168 for Windows 10 versions 22H2, version 21H2. These updates are developed to bring new features and fixes for a few issues that help to improve the smooth system operation. But few users complained that they totally failed to install the updates KB5028166 and KB5028168 on their Windows 10.
If you are suffering from installing Updates KB5028166 and KB5028168 on Windows 10, then you are at the right place. Here we have installed a few solutions that might help you to resolve your issue and allow you to download and install the latest updates on your computer. Then let’s have a look.
Fix 1: Restart the System
The first try to install Updates KB5028166 and KB5028168 on your system smoothly is restarting the system. While doing so most of the glitches will disappear from the system and help you to install the latest updates without any issues.
Fix 2: Run Update Troubleshooter
If you failed to install Updates KB5028166 and KB5028168 on your system then you should use Windows built-in troubleshooter tool and continue with the upgradation process.
- Open the Settings screen and choose the Update & Settings option from the menu.
- Then click on Troubleshooter and choose Other Troubleshooters, then click on the Run button beside Windows Update option and reinstall the updates.
Fix 3: Download Update Assistant Tool
Another solution you can try is download and install Windows 10 Update Assistant tool on your system and reinstall the updates. To do so,
- Open Windows 10 Update Assistant webpage and move towards the Update Assistant section, click on the Update Now button.
- Once downloaded, install it on your system and start to install the latest updates.
Fix 4: Download Media Creation Tool
Sometimes reinstalling the Windows 10 Media creation tool will allow you to install Updates KB5028166 and KB5028168 on your system without any issues.
- Open Windows 10 Media Creation tool page on your browser, then locate Create Windows 10 Installation Media section and click on the Download tool now and continue the process.
- Then install the downloaded file on your system and try again to install the latest updates.
Fix 5: Reset Windows Update Component
If any of the Windows Update Components get damaged or corrupted then also you will not be able to install Updates KB5028166 and KB5028168 on your system. Here you can reset Windows Update Components and retry to install the problematic updates.
- Type “cmd” in your desktop search box and open Command Prompt screen with admin access.
- Inside the newly opened screen, type the below given commands one after another and press Enter key,
SC config trustedinstaller start=auto
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop msiserver
net stop cryptsvc
net stop appidsvc
Ren %Systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren %Systemroot%\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll
regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dl
regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll
netsh winsock reset
netsh winsock reset proxy
rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /ScanHealth
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /CheckHealth
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /StartComponentCleanup
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start msiserver
net start cryptsvc
net start appidsvc
- Eventually, restart the computer and reinstall the latest updates.
Fix 6: Delete SoftwareDistribution Folder Files
In some instances deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder from your system might help you to resolve the Updates KB5028166 and KB5028168 not installing on Windows 10 issue.
- Open Services screen and locate Windows Update service, right-click on it and press Stop option.
- Then launch Windows Explorer, go to C:\Windows-> SoftwareDistribution and remove the folder from the system.
- Finally , you might be able to install the latest updates on the system.
Fix 7: Use Microsoft Update Catalog
You can also install Updates KB5028166 and KB5028168 on your system manually with the help of Microsoft Update Catalog page, but try this fix as a last attempt. To do so,
- Open Microsoft Update Catalog page and enter the Updates “KB5028166” or “KB5028168” in the given search box.
- Then download the compatible file and install it on your system.
These are the top solutions to resolve the Updates KB5028166 and KB5028168 failed to install on Windows 10. In addition, you can check the issue is related to your antivirus program, then temporarily delete the antivirus tool and retry to install the updates.