Return to Monkey Island is the latest episode of the Monkey Island game where you can enjoy Guybrush Threepwood’s epic story of mystery, love and lactose intolerance. The game is about Guybrush’s journey to discover the secret of Monkey Island by solving narrative puzzles. But some players pointed out that they faced the issue of crashing or not launching while trying to run the game on their PC.
If you too have been put off from enjoying this point-and-click adventure game, then you’re at the right place. Here we’ve listed some solutions to overcome the Return to Monkey Island crashing or lagging problems to let you solve puzzles and explore the island. Then let’s have a look.
- Install Latest Game Patch
- Close unwanted background running apps/services
- Disable antivirus
- Update Windows
- Check System Requirement
These are the basic tricks that will help you resolve your issues, if the issue doesn’t solve, let’s move down to the detailed solutions.
Fix 1: Verify Game Files
If any game files are missing, you may face crashing or lagging problems. In this case, you can check the integrity of the game files and restart the game. To do so,
- Open Steam-> select Library->right-click on Return to Monkey Island icon-> select Properties.
- Then click on Local Files-> choose Verify integrity of game files and launch the game.
Fix 2: Update Driver
As the first step to resolving the crashing or not launching issue in Return to Monkey Island is updating to Graphics driver. You can check and update your driver to its latest version and see the result. To do so,
- Right-click on Windows button->select Device Manager ->select Display adapters->right-click on Graphics driver-> select Update driver.
- Once the process gets completed, you can start the game again.
Fix 3: Use Dedicated GPU
In some cases, by running the game with a dedicated GPU, you can avoid the stuttering or freezing issue of Return to Monkey Island. To do so,
- Open Graphics Settings window-> click on Graphics Performance Preference-> click on Browse button->go to the game installation folder and add Return to Monkey to the list.
- Then choose Return to Monkey from the list-> click on three dots-> select Options.
- On the new screen, select High Performance, save changes, and relaunch the game.
Fix 4: Run as Administrator
Sometimes running the game as an administrator will allow you to play without the issues discussed. To do so,
- Go to Game installation folder-> right-click on Return to Monkey.exe file-> select Properties.
- And choose the Compatibility tab-> select Run this program as an administrator option and relaunch the game.
Fix 5: Turn VSync
At times turning off the VSync feature might help you to escape from the crashing or black screen issue in Return to Monkey Island. To do so,
In NVIDIA– open NVIDIA Control Panel->select Manage 3D Settings->Virtual Sync-> disable Sync option.
In IntelHD Graphics– Open IntelHD Graphics Control Panel->3D General Settings->Custom Settings->Virtual Sync-> turn off VSync option.
Fix 6: Reinstall DirectX
In most cases, similar issues can occur as a result of the DirectX package. In this case, you need to uninstall the DirectX you are currently using and reinstall its latest version on your system. To do so,
- Open DirectX page-> select Language-> click on Download red button
- Now install the downloaded latest version on your system and relaunch the game.
Fix 7: Disable Overclocking
Sometimes disabling the overclocking feature may help you get rid of the crashing or not launching problem in Return to Monkey Island. The overclocking feature can sometimes hamper the performance of the game and lead to several issues.
Fix 8: Disable Overlay
Another solution to resolve the Return to Monkey Island low FPS or lagging issue is disabling the Overlay feature.
In GeForce Experience– Click on Settings->turn off toggle beside In-game Overlay option and launch the game.
In Discord– Click on Settings->Overlay->turn off toggle beside Enable in-game overlay option and launch the game.
Fix 9: Launch in DirectX 11
Sometimes launching the game in -dx11 will help you escape from the same issues. To do so,
- Open Steam->Library->right-click on Return to Monkey Island-> select Properties.
- Then click on General->type -dx11 under the Launch Options and start the game.
- If the issue persists, then revert to the previous option and move to the next solution.
Fix 10: Lower Graphics Settings
Making a few tweaks to your game graphics settings can help you fix crashing or lagging issues. Go to the game Graphics Settings menu, lower all the settings in the list and switch to Windowed Mode.
Fix 11: Reinstall the Game
If none of the above solutions helps you, then you should uninstall the game and its related files from your system and reinstall it from a trusted source. Once done, you can launch the game again to see the improvement.
These are all about Return to Monkey Island Crashing, Freezing, Lagging, Low FPS or Not Launching issue on PC and its fixes. If you have any concerns related to the information given above, then you can list your doubts in the command box below.