A lot of Windows users have recently complained that the Windows Defender won’t update in their computers. As we know Windows Defender is an essential component for system’s security, and if it begins to show any issue, it can get really annoying for the users.
If you are also the one suffering from the “Windows Defender Won’t Update” issue, then this article is specifically for you. Below, we have tried to explain some of the sure-shot solutions that will further let the Windows Defender install all the available updates. Have a look down below:
Preliminary fixes for the “Windows Defender Won’t Update” issue
Before you jump towards the actual steps, consider trying these quick steps and check whether they help you or not.
- Navigate to Windows Defender Update Interface, check for any available updates and try to install them. Though if the process fails, then click over the shield icon (in the notification area), click on Virus & threat protection, and then click on the Check for updates tab.
- Run the Windows Update troubleshooter.
- If you have any other third-party security/ antivirus software installed in your system, they at a time can interfere with the functioning of Windows Defender and disable its updates. Here consider uninstalling the third-party antivirus software and check for improvement.
- Consider installing all the pending updates into your system, restart your computer and then try to update the Windows Defender all again. Also, set Windows Defender to automatic to get updates automatically.
Fixes for the “Windows Defender Won’t Update” issue
FIX 1: Use a third-party Antivirus software:
Windows Defender is a built-in anti-malware component of Microsoft Windows; however, when it disappoints your expectation, it is time to switch to third-party Antivirus software. You can find several reliable and worthy third-party antivirus software (s) available online.
Most of these software (s) comes with one-month free trial usage followed by paid usage. Consider using a trusted one and check for its performance during the initial days. If found reliable, you can further buy its paid version.
FIX 2: Manually install update definitions:
Microsoft releases several updates frequently for a hassle-free and smooth user experience. Users can find such updates via Windows Update, Automatic Updates, or Windows Server Update Service (WSUS). Though these updates are usually installed with the regular updating process, but at times, Windows Defender won’t update along with these services. In this case, the best solution is to install the updated definitions manually.
- Firstly, navigate to the Windows security portal.
- Now follow the given instructions for downloading and installing the definition updates.
- If you are successful in installing the update, then it means that issue was caused by a Windows Update problem. However, if you fail to do so, then consider connecting Microsoft tech support for further assistance.
FIX 3: Verify that you have all required Windows Update files:
All the necessary updates will come to your PC all the time, but if Windows updates are blocked due to some unknown reasons, users must verify them in order to ensure smooth usage. To verify the files, follow these steps,
- Firstly, navigate to the Windows Update website.
- Here download and install all the recommended updates.
- Now for reviewing the Windowsupdate.log file for error messages, further click on the desktop search bar, type %windir%windowsupdate.login, and then press Enter.
- Now navigate Windows Help and How-to web page and then enter the keywords describing the problem from the log file you found.
- Once done, check for the improvement.
FIX 4: Set Windows Defender service as automatic:
As per some suffered users, while they set the Windows Defender service as automatic, the said issue got resolved for them. You can also follow the same by the steps given below:
- Firstly, launch the RUN prompt by pressing Windows + R altogether.
- Now inside the text box, type services.msc and then click on OK to open the Service window.
- Now from the list of options, locate Windows Defender antivirus service, right-click over it and then select the option Properties.
- Under the General tab, make sure the Service Status is set as Running.
- Further, make sure that the Startup type is set as Automatic. If not, open the adjacent drop-down, select Automatic and then click on the Start tab.
- Finally, click on Apply and then OK.
FIX 5: Run an SFC Scan:
At times, some corrupted system files can prevent the Windows Defender from updating. However, running an SFC scan can resolve this issue in no time. To use SFC scan, follow these steps,
- Firstly, go to the taskbar search box, type cmd, and launch the Command Prompt window. You need to open the same window with administrative access.
- Now inside the Command Prompt window, type sfc/scannow and then press Enter.
- Let the scanning process get completed on its own.
Windows Defender ensures the safety of a system and protects it from Malware and viruses. Any issue with this component can lead to system vulnerability, and thus it is always advisable to resolve all the related problems quickly.
At the end of this article, we hope that we are able to provide you with enough helpful and relevant updates. If you have any queries or feedback, please write down the comment in the below command box.